Bill Warwick (1926-2007) was the curator and archivist for Old Mission Santa Inés. From the 1960's to 1990's he worked to preserve and improve the Mission. In this five-part series, Bill and Historian Mike Loehr share their personal knowledge and detailed historical understanding of the Mission and surrounding Solvang and Santa Ynez Valley. In part one he gives the goals of the videos and dedicates them to the hard work of the Capuchin Franciscan Fathers who have been there since 1924. These videos were recorded in 2006.
In part one he starts with the entrance to the Mission from Highway 246, talks about the Mission meadow, the ruins of the old soldier garrison, excavation of the meadow by archeologist, the original Chumash cemetery, Pepper Trees, and water supply lines. On the east end along the barranco he continues with talking about the old water line along the Alamo Pintado Creek, the lower Mission fields, Grist Mill (1820), and Mission well.
Mike Loehr talks about the National Historic District status of the Mission, and the Mission aqueduct. The Santa Ynez High School Research project on the aqueduct is discussed.
The video continues with Information on the Old Camino Real by the Stations of the Cross, Mission Rose Garden, and Temporary church location. The early Chumash Mission Villages locations and Lavandería at the Mission and Chumash Reservation are shown. Bill shares about The Camino Real and Santa Ynez River crossing, and outline of the Mission property with Pepper Trees he planted.
Mike Loehr talks about the importance of historical presentation using the old 1804 arch as an example.
The shrine honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe site is viewed. Part-one ends with the Mission School and Convent history.
Bill Warwick shares his knowledge of the history of the Old Mission Santa Ines Museum. This 2006 video is part two of seven videos of Bill sharing his knowledge of the Mission and Solvang history. Some of the topics include Solvang downtown areas being sold by the Mission and the Mission Garden.
The cemetery and the grave site markers are discussed. The history of the bell tower and entrance door to the sanctuary is talked about. Father Sierra statue history is given.
Mission Bells, wall paintings (decorations) in sanctuary , Our Lady of the Rosary, Statues and Paintings are some of the topics. The recreation of original design on the walls of the original Indian work is discussed. Bill talks about the changes to the sanctuary over the years in this video.
Mission rooms, lower and upper rooms, Archival Center, living quarters and the 1988 and 1989 additions are discussed.